Several people asked if I plan to make and sell face masks. The answer is no, sorry. There are lots of mamas who have lost their jobs, and kids who are home from school, and they are stepping into entrepreneurship and launching their own businesses making and selling face masks. How cool is that? So check out your local buy/sell/swap groups on facebook or craigslist and you should be able to find someone local to purchase from.
The most common style of handmade masks has loops for around the ears, which poses a challenge for those who have microtia. Even people who do have ears, complain that the elastic is irritating.
One solution is to find (or make) a mask which ties behind your head.
But if your only option is a mask which has elastic straps for around your ears, here are some solutions:
I do not know who to credit for this idea, nor do I know whose picture this is, just found it floating around on the internet…
2) Mask Strap Remix There are several options of 3D printed devices like this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4249113
3) Sew 2 Buttons onto a piece of ribbon. https://www.facebook.com/bridgettec.mcquaig/posts/10219899852184261
4) Ribbon with Snaps – Personally, I do not enjoying sewing buttons, and I have lots of snaps, so I added snaps to a ribbon to create this Ribbon Mask Holder:
Ribbon Mask Holder can be purchased from my Etsy shop, The Baha Bowtique https://www.etsy.com/listing/779581952/ribbon-face-mask-holder-snap-on
5) Use a random toy, like a Monkey from Barrel of Monkeys. (This is my favorite idea so far!)
6) Ry-Bandz headbands have buttons sewn on https://www.ishopintheivy.com/
Ry-Bandz can be purchased at Shop In The Ivy: https://www.ishopintheivy.com/
Urban Halo has a similar item called a “Healthcare Headband” https://www.urbanhalo.com/product-category/healthcare-headbands/
And Sew By Katie also makes a knit headband with buttons https://sewcutebykatie.com/collections/headbands
7) Ear Savers – I am now making Ear Savers, which are permanently attached to the softband of your choice. Ear Savers can slide up and down along the softband to adjust to the correct position to hold face mask or sunglasses. The Softband and Ear Savers are sold separately, that way you can choose any color combination. So you will need to order both Ear Savers AND a Softband. Usually my softbands are made for Baha/Ponto, but I just added an option of a “Nurse Softband,” (which is not compatible with any hearing aid). These are available on my Etsy Shop: TheBahaBowtique.etsy.com
Here is the link to purchase Ear Savers on my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/thebahabowtique/?section_id=28488922
This is a compilation of ideas and solutions which I have found on the internet. If I come across more ideas, I’ll add to this list. Please feel free to comment below with your ideas and suggestions: