There are several components in necessary in order to make a softband headband which is adjustable, so 1-size-fits-all, and make it compatible with Cochlear Baha or Oticon Ponto hearing aid.
5/8 inch fold over elastic (FOE). 5/8 inch velvet elastic (optional)
slide adjuster 5/8 inch sliders. Color options are Clear or black.
silicone o-ring Size 1/2 inch (or 12mm) to hold the Connector.
Button Block Connector. The hearing aid snaps onto the Connector. There is a Connector for Cochlear Baha4 & Baha5 and a different Connector for Oticon Ponto. The Connector fits inside the flexible o-ring on the softband and can be taken on and off any Custom Softband. You only need 1 Connector (or two for bilateral Baha/Ponto hearing aids).
Lighter (optional) to singe the ends of elastic to keep it from fraying.
Save time and money by ordering a DIY headband kit with elastic, o-ring, and slide adjuster from the Baha Bowtique on Etsy.
* Exact measurements vary depending on the size of your child’s head. This size fits my toddler and my preschooler and heads up to 20 inches. However a newborn may need smaller size and an adult may need a bigger size.
1) Measure and cut:
- 22 inches pattern elastic
- 20 inches solid color elastic (or 5/8 velvet elastic)
2) Singe ends with lighter so they don’t fray.
3) Flip pattern elastic over and make glue dots to glue solid color elastic (or velvet elastic) to the pattern elastic.
(The pattern elastic will stick out about 1 inch longer at each end.)
4) Thread slide adjuster onto the end of pattern elastic and fold over. Glue and/or sew.
5) Thread elastic through o-ring.
6) Fold over and thread elastic back through slide adjuster.
7) Loop the end of the pattern elastic around the o-ring.
8) Fold pattern elastic, glue and / or sew.
9) Insert Button Block Connector in o-ring.
10) Snap Baha/Ponto hearing aid onto the Connector.
To make a Bilateral headband
* Exact measurements vary depending on the size of your child’s head. This size fits my toddler and my preschooler. However a newborn may need smaller size and an adult may need a bigger size
1) Measure and cut for the front/top of the headband:
- 16 Inches pattern elastic & 14 inches solid color elastic (or velvet elastic)
Measure and cut for the back of the headband:
- 9 Inches pattern elastic & 7 Inches solid color elastic (or velvet elastic)
Do steps 2-6 for the front of the headband
Do steps 2-6 for the back of the headband
Attach the elastic from the front to the o-ring on the back and vice-versa.
Save time and money by ordering a DIY softband kit with elastic, o-ring, and slide adjuster.
Join the discussion about making Headbands for Baha Hearing Aids.
Purchase custom softbands from the Baha Bowtique on Etsy
Here is a video tutorial:
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.